Is this the future?

General moto chat, all things motocross
MX45

Is this the future?

Post by MX45 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:08 am

What do you think? Seems like once a giant like Honda starts developing something like this and putting it out there for the public to see then that's a big sign of where we could be heading.

I'd be surprised if KTM and others are not working on their own similar projects.

What are the advantages & disadvantages for you?

Would you buy one?

Holeshot

Re: Is this the future?

Post by Holeshot » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:23 am

Seems a bit like the four stroke revolution.

Some will like it.

Some will hate it.

Most will buy it (if its the quickest bike to be on).

Sean406

Post by Sean406 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:20 pm

These electric bikes are definitely the future of motocross, KTM have had an electric bike on the market for a few years now.
I think the benefits speak for themselves, no noise, no oil, no fuel, that should keep all the tree huggers happier, and may even mean less tracks will be closed in the future, and possibly more opening 🤞🏼.
I think the Honda looks awesome, and would have one tomorrow, I do however have a few queries. 1. Can they keep it affordable. 2. Can they keep the weight down. 3. Battery life, not only how long you can ride on one charge, but also how many times can you charge it before the battery stops holding charge, I’ve got a nice Makita drill that would last ages when I bought it a year and a half ago, be lucky to get an hour out of it now, and genuine batteries aren’t cheap, how much will Honda want for a new one 💰💰💰. It needs to last at least 2hrs to get through a good days practice, and not fade in power over time. Can they do it? Time will tell

mx266

Post by mx266 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:06 pm

Love it or hate it.... it's coming.....

Personally I cant wait, for one main reason....You will find practise tracks popping up everywhere I'm sure, more tracks means better tracks as there will be completion among track owners to lure riders in.

Then we will have more local tracks with better conditions and not trains of riders going round!! :D

We will just have to make engine sounds under our helmets :roll:

lee moto

Post by lee moto » Tue May 14, 2019 9:17 pm

They are definitely the future but I cant say I like it. When everything moved from 2 strokes to 4 strokes the sport got a lot more expensive. It just seems to me that when electric bikes come in the bikes are going to be even more expensive again. I think that's why 2 strokes are making a bit of a comeback because people want to have a cheap way to go racing.

Mac Simiser

Post by Mac Simiser » Thu May 16, 2019 2:18 am

I love moto, but when the day comes that these are the norm, I will be out of it and just bench race. The sound and smells are all apart of it for me and many I am sure. The Honda does look good however and not as janky as the Alta. Maybe I need a test ride to change my mind..

lee moto

Post by lee moto » Thu May 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Yeah plus the alta had no gears and no clutch. Just twist and go, seems like it takes away from the skill level a little bit.

MX45

Post by MX45 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Such a shame that Alta went the way it did.

Holeshot

Post by Holeshot » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Looks like yamaha is getting in on the act now as well:

https://m.vitalmx.com/features/Electric ... pment,7066

Max260

Post by Max260 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:07 am

why does that yam have a clutch lever if its electric :?: :?: :?:
Keepin it pinned :D